If you work in a creative field, like advertising or graphic design, you’ll eventually hear someone say something like, “great, I guess I’ll just go poop out another idea**.” But, honestly, they’re not far off.
Top 5 ways Creativity is like Pooping™
1. You can’t force it***. Trying to squeeze out a creative idea before its time is like trying poop when you’re not ready—you’ll end up getting hemorrhoids … of the brain.
2. When you’re stuck, read something. This goes back to number 1****, but sometimes you have to distract yourself in order for ideas to come to you.
3. Garbage in, garbage out. Feed your brain substantive ideas and inspiration***** to get nutrient-rich thinking; granted, it’s all crap, but some is better than others.
4. Sometimes you just have to be the biggest @$$hole. To convince others of your ideas, sometimes you have to challenge and even risk offending them.
5. You never know what you’re going to get. Sure, when you sit down to poop, you have a general idea of what you’re going to get—brownish, smelly, clingy—but until you look in that bowl, you don’t know if it will be smooth and silky or clumpy and runny. Which, let’s face it, is why you got into the business in the first place, right?
*My parents are so proud right now; “Four years of college for this?”
**Which precedes the notion of “polishing a turd.”
***Yes, yes, very funny.
*****Like That Tad Guy’s blog, maybe?